Car Insurance from Massachusetts Agents
What is it?
Car insurance can provide important protections for your vehicle, your passengers and yourself whenever you’re driving.
Who needs it?
Most Massachusetts drivers have to carry at least state-mandated minimum levels of auto insurance. Most people choose to have more.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Comprehensive & Collision Coverage
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage
- Property Damage Liability Coverage
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage
What is car insurance?
Driving vehicles comes with inherent risks, as almost all drivers will eventually be in an accident. Car insurance can help Massachusetts drivers manage the financial consequences of a collision or other vehicular incident.
Car insurance is one of the most common personal insurances, but it still can be tailored to suit specific needs. Drivers usually can choose which coverages their policy contains, so long as the policy at least meets the state’s minimum requirements.
Who in Massachusetts ought to have auto insurance?
With few exceptions, the vast majority of Massachusetts residents who drive vehicles are legally required to carry auto insurance. The state generally requires the following coverages:
- Property Damage Liability Coverage ($5,000/accident)
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage ($20,000/person; $40,000/accident)
- Personal Injury Protection ($8,000/person)
- Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage ($20,000/person; $40,000/accident)
Get A Quote!
While these required minimums may provide a baseline of protection, many drivers choose to purchase additional coverages and higher limits.
(Drivers can alternatively meet the state’s minimum requirements by making a deposit of $35,000 or purchasing a surety bond. Most drivers choose to carry auto insurance, however.)
What risks do auto insurance coverages protect against?
The coverages included within auto policies help protect against a variety of potential risks. Some coverages and corresponding incidents they might protect against are:
- Personal injury Protection (PIP): Might extend coverage to injuries that the driver and/or passengers sustain
- Medical Payments Coverage: Might extend coverage to medical costs that the driver and/or passengers incur
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage: Might extend coverage to injuries that persons outside of the vehicle sustain
- Property Damage Liability Coverage: Might extend coverage to damage that others’ vehicles or other property sustain
- Collision Coverage: Might extend coverage to damage that the insured vehicle sustains during a multi-vehicle accident
- Comprehensive Coverage: Might extend coverage to damage that the insured vehicle sustains during other incidents
- Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Might extend coverage to accidents involving underinsured drivers
The exact protections that any coverage provides are determined by the coverage’s terms, limits, exclusions and conditions, as they’re detailed in a policy.
What does gap coverage protect against?
Gap coverage normally provides protection for the insured vehicle. Specifically, the coverage may apply to the difference between an outstanding balance and a vehicle’s fair market value.
Assume an insured vehicle has an outstanding loan of $12,000, but is only worth $10,000 due to depreciation. If the vehicle is totaled in an accident, collision coverage would likely pay the vehicle’s value of $10,000. Gap coverage would probably cover the remaining $2,000, which the driver could be responsible for if gap coverage weren’t in place.
Gap coverage is commonly required when a vehicle is leased or financed. An insurance agent who specializes in auto insurance can help make sure adequate gap coverage is purchased if it’s needed.
How can Massachusetts drivers get car insurance?
For assistance with car insurance, contact the independent insurance agents at Norwood Insurance Agency. Our Massachusetts agents can help you explore policy and coverages options from several different insurers, and we have the expertise needed to help you choose the best one for your situation. With our aid, you can be confident that you’re well protected when driving on the road.